I work in a museum right now. On my lunch break, I can wander up to the galleries or out to the gardens. I'm so busy I almost never do. But still, it's an option. For a dreamer, that's pretty ideal.
For me, museums have always been places of great freedom. My cousins and I went to museums a lot as children. We played a game wherein we pretended to get lost just so we could be on our own all day. It was soooo long ago that if you were within the walls of the museum, you knew, you just knew, you'd be safe. We somehow always found our parents by closing time and they were never mad and it was just the greatest. (It worked at Disney World too.)
I'm too busy to do much more than have a gif party below in honor of these 10 Museums from Pop Culture, but I hope you enjoy. (I definitely saved the best entry for last.)
1. Indiana Jones in every movie (but the gif is from Last Crusade) - The National Museum at Marshall College
2. Ferris Bueller's Day Off - The Art Institute of Chicago
And now...a montage...
3. L.A. Story - Los Angeles County Museum of Art
4. The Mummy - Museum of Antiquities
5. Ocean's Twelve - Galleria D'Arte di Roma
6. Jab Harry Met Sejal - Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam
7. The Squid and the Whale - American Museum of Natural History
8. Ghostbusters II - Manhattan Museum of Art
9. When Harry Met Sally - The Metropolitan Museum of Art
10. Batman - Flugelheim Museum
What museums did I miss? Do you still love to get lost in a museum?
P.S. While drafting this, I found, Museum People's Tattoos. It's a delightful blog I discovered by accident and I love it.
Also, there was a popular book titled From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankenweiler about a girl who sneaks into a museum and stays past closing time. They even made it into a movie. Any other nineties kids remember it?